Monday, October 17, 2011

New Blog Post--take 14 Hundred....

I have started and stopped about a gadzillion blog posts in the past week. My brain has been so overwhelmed with so many thoughts that, I suppose, writing an actual sentence seemed a bit daunting...much less a string of sentences! So...here I go again...with another attempt.

Things that transpired in the past week:

Juicing:
So, I started making a special green juice to start each morning in the hopes of bamblasting these cancer cells outta dodge. I was pleasantly surprised that the green juice a) tastes notsobad and b) is easy to injest/digest and easy to clean up. It really does give me a little boost and I feel good about doing something extra-specially good for my body. 

Wig shopping: 
My bestie drove down on Wednesday and we went to a wig shop near DC to see what the wonderful world of wig wearing is all about. Beforehand, I had envisioned this adventure to be glamorous and fun and all 80's Hollywood movie shopping musical montage. In reality...notsomuch. I do believe at some point during the "adventure" I may have screamed in desparation "OK...get this thing off of me!" I did not feel glamorous. I felt...well...whatever the opposite of glamorous is. And stifled. The thick hair that we all dream of that is sewn into these wigs...is really hot and uncomfortable. Granted...I have hair still, so I assume this makes a difference. But, let's just say...I did not leave with a new flashy head of hair in tow. And I am feeling a bit daunted about the wig wearing. Fo sho.

Afterward, we decided perhaps hat and scarf shopping was a little more up my alley. I purchased one hat and one scarf (and a purse cause well...a new purse helps ease the pain of wig shopping). Later, at home,  my bestie and I practiced scarf fashion and let's just say that my bestie would make a better-looking cancer patient than me. But, we both can equally pull off a nice Muslim look. And, if nothing else...we had a delightful time laughing at each other.

Chemo Day #1:
Not so bad. My bestie was there with me the whole time. I got a nice lazyboy recliner and about 14  pillows. An ancient TV that provided me with pretty much zero entertainment and a nice cocktail of drugs to make my first time even more of a piece of cake than it actually was. The whole thing was supposed to take a little over 4 hours. When I was told it was going to be more like 7 hours...my biggest concern was..."but what about lunch??" Some things still hold priority to me. I was definitely there the longest of anyone as we watched several other women come and go. All in all...it wasn't so bad. Oddly, looking back now...the 7.5 hours seems to be a blur. What was IN that cocktail!?!

The coolest thing BY FAR since my first chemo treatment is that the excruciating lower back and pelvic pain that I have been experiencing for a few months now....is GONE. I am a bit "not right" all around, but overall I feel SO MUCH BETTER. Not sure if feeling better was supposed to be an instant side effect...but hello...I'll take it!

Neulasta shot:
The day after chemo, I will always go back in for a shot of white blood cell-boosting something. This is supposed to boost my immunity and make it so I don't have to avoid people and shopping malls while on the chemo treatment. Ironically, this boost makes me a bit achy, headache-y and feverish...all completely tolerable...thank God.

All in all...things have been completely tolerable physically. Emotionally...I feel pretty good too though I have my "moments". The support I have received from friends and family has been...in a word...humbling. And is probably the biggest boost I have received through all of this thus far. Thanks to everyone for being so awesome and making me feel like this is a group effort and not a solitary journey!

Love! Vashni

3 comments:

  1. She fails to mention that my lunch run for her was more like a "where's my lunch beyotch????!!!!" just kidding :) I love my bestie!!!! A bug shout out to her huge heart and courage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was supposed to be a big shout out...tee hee

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are both amazing! Thanks for giving us the lowdown, Vash. You have been through so much the past few years, and had your world turned upside down in the past two weeks. You know I wish I was closer to hug you and hold your hand through this. A good laughing fit on the floor would be good medicine. :) I'm so glad Patricia is there, and you are closer to family now, too. We love you and are praying A LOT!
    God Bless you!
    Beck

    ReplyDelete