Sunday, October 2, 2011

Citizen's Arrest

On the way home from church today, we got stuck behind a man driving quite slowly on the highway. My husband, not one to be patient with other drivers, yelled a few un-nice things to the interior of our car and then said "I should make a citizen's arrest. It is dangerous to drive that slow on the highway."

To which I began thinking...has anyone ever really MADE a citizen's arrest? And, if so, really...how did this go? I cannot imagine a citizen's arrest going well. I mean...what would you do? Slap on some fake handcuffs? Push the "criminal" into the back of your car? Expect this person to just go along with it because your were "officially" making a citizen's arrest? 

What would I do if someone, an average citizen, tried to arrest me? Not that I would ever do anything arrest-worthy. Not now anyway. Would I laugh? Would I be scared? Would I fight back? Would I go along with it? I'm not really sure. Ha ha. I suppose it would depend on the size and fierceness of the said arresting citizen. 

I am pretty sure if I tried to arrest someone, they would laugh. Then they would probably pull out a knife or some other weapon and slice me and I would be all "I'm so arresting you!" as I bleed and fall into unconsciousness on the sidewalk. Yeah...I don't envision a citizen's arrest having much of a happy ending. I am sort of dramatic that way. But, come one....really??

No comments:

Post a Comment