Friday, September 16, 2011

Sit Back, Relax and Enjoy the PET Scan

So, I had my first ever (and hopefully last) PET scan this morning. What a pleasant change of pace from the Stabbing of the Liver I had last Friday.

They had advised me to bring a book, which I just couldn't fathom. I mean, I kept picturing myself laying flat on my back on a scanner and holding a book over my face trying to read and turn pages without moving. Not to mention, with my current physical condition (or lack thereof), I am not sure I could lift a book over my head. Alas, as it turns out...the entire first hour of the process (after receiving an injection of radioactive glucose) I was relegated to a HUGE comfy black leather recliner chair (think Joey's chair on Friends) and covered in a soft clean HEATED blankie and THEN advised to "just relax". Hello!? Sign me up for this test everyday! Ha.

Of course the 24-hour no-carb, no-caffeine diet followed by the 6-hour fast to prepare me for this hour of relaxation was no picnic (literally) for this Pennsylvania Dutch/East European starch lover. In case you didn't know anything about PET scans, which I didn't before this week, you need to eliminate the glucose in your diet prior to the scan. Apparently, those super busy cancer cell devils love the sugar. Therefore when the radioactive glucose is injected into your body, any kind of cancerous tumor/growth will suck in the glucose and show up all glow-y on the scan. That is your medical lesson for the day.

Of course, I am praying for a completely non-glowy scan, but I won't know til Monday.  I feel better about this test than previous ones, but it may just be because it was TOTALLY less traumatizing.

Anyway...that is TAH-day's story. Hopefully, I will return soon with more comedic jabs at my loving husband...so therapeutic.....

1 comment:

  1. Continuing to pray for good news :) Try to keep busy this weekend so you don't stress about waiting for the results.

    ReplyDelete