Saturday, September 10, 2011

Ow...That's My Liver!

I haven't really talked about this, but now that I have some answers, I thought I would share my experience of the Liver Biopsy fun day.

For anyone who is completely clueless....I had a CT scan of my abdomen and pelvis done mid-August because I am having a lot of abdominal pain, lower back pain and blood in my urine. A round of antibiotics did nothing to cure the pain. So, the doc thought we better take a closer look at what's happening inside my buddha belly. During said scan, they found a bunch of masses...one on my liver, one on my kidney and a whole bunch of little ones along a bilateral path in my pelvis. I saw an oncologist (based on my history of cervical cancer), who recommended that I get a biopsy of the liver mass. One, this was the one they were most concerned about and two, this was the easiest access point for a biopsy. This "fun" procedure took place yesterday, 9/9/2011.

Prior to the procedure, I met with the radiologist, who reviewed my recent CT scan and answered  A LOT of my questions. She is/was my new favorite person (I say was because she did cause me a lot of pain later. LOL.) She told me that the mass on the liver is very small, only 1 cm. The report said that it was 5 cm! And my PCP even called it "lemon-sized". I asked why the difference and she explained to me that the "enhancing" view of the mass makes like a glowy outer ring, but that she felt that the actual mass was just the little portion inside. I think if someone had told me this...oh 2 weeks ago...maybe it would have saved me A LOT of worry!! You think? Anyway, I asked her about the mass on my kidney and she said very non-chalantly "oh..that is a cyst...you should not worry about that". Again...why could no one else tell me this? I also asked about the other masses (I have multiple masses along the iliac and adnexal lymph nodes, which is where I had multiple lymph nodes removed in 2008). She says that likely these cysts have developed because fluid in that part of my lymphatic system has nowhere to go...can't drain when you don't actually have nodes, I guess. I am thinking this is the cause of all my pain...but I don't know for sure. It was so nice to have someone actually give me answers, though it makes me feel a little distrusting of the other doctors I have seen.

After they did the first biopsy of my liver (I was awake but mildly sedated and let me tell you...I do NOT recommend having a needle stuck in your liver...in my case right next to my lung). My diaphragm cramped and I had radiating shoulder pain and couldn't breathe. I started to cry, which is unlike me, which made it even harder to "take shallow breaths" as I was being advised. LOL. The radiologist took these first samples to the pathologist to see if there was enough tissue to study and make a diagnosis. The pathologist looked at them and said they could only find normal cells. The radiologist feels confident that she biopsied the right spot, but just in case...she went in again...trying a different approach/path. So...I went through the whole crying/pain/breathing thing again. This time I could not stop crying.  She finished, took the sample again to the pathologist and the pathologist again said that they only found normal cells. I must have boo hooed for 20 minutes while the nurse comforted me and returned me to the recovery room. The radiologist decided she had done enough poking and probably couldn't deal with my crying anymore. Ha ha.

After the procedure, I was pretty miserable for an hour or 2. They gave me a bunch of pain meds, which in turn made me sick. Once I finally got some crackers and some zofran, I was feeling A LOT better. I had a chest xray to make sure that the radiologist did not puncture my lung during the procedure (she did not) and finally got to go home. What I thought was gonna be an in and out 2 hour from beginning to end procedure...was actually a 7 hour day. Ha. Shows you what I know! And for the record, hubs was right there the whole time (though he did have to spend a lot of time in the waiting room) so he does deserve some kudos for enduring that long day with me.

So...the radiologist has recommended a PET scan to be sure of the results and to also look at the adnexal and illiac cysts for malignancy. Depending on the results of the PET scan, I could have a biopsy of the other cysts. I am still in a lot of pain and I keep testing positive for blood in my urine (but negative for any types of infection). BUT...I am soooo beyond relieved that the liver mass seems likely to be a non-issue. Per the radiologist's request, I am trying to get ahold of a CT scan done at Duke last year of my chest to see if the spot shows up on that scan (they were looking at my lungs for sarcoidosis at the time, so the report doesn't say anything about my liver). So anyway....that's my story! Oh...and for those who have asked...my eye is still an issue...but it seems to have improved over the last month. I had hoped that these conditions were related and we could finally have a diagnosis and get me all better. But, one thing at a time, I suppose! Maybe you will see me on Mystery Diagnosis one of these days!

That being said...

Nothing wakes you up like a health scare! Please take care of yourselves and don't wait to see a doctor if you feel something isn't right. Most importantly....cherish your loved ones...not only are they your best support system (thank you all so so so much for your prayers and loving thoughts), but you never know how long you will have them.

Special thanks to the Ruggieros and Grandma Sue, who called the Billy Graham hotline to pray with someone for me...and to Annie for sharing that tidbit with me cause it makes me grin everytime I think about it.

Oh and special thanks to Patty, who insists that she called Gayle King, Oprah's lesbian lover, to pray for me because Oprah wasn't available.

Love to you all!!

No comments:

Post a Comment