Tuesday, November 22, 2011

"Happies"

I have always been drawn to the world of self-help and personal-growth books. Send me to a library or a Barnes and Noble and you will find me in that section 99.9% of the time. You would think with all the books I own and have read on spirituality and self-esteem and what-have-you that I would pretty much have the world and my inner workings figured out. Not even close.

Anyway, one thing that I come across again and again is how having an "attitude of gratitude" is so absolutely beneficial to one's state of being. I have kept gratitude journals here and there over the years but I should do better. 

One of my best friends and I used to send each other lists of our daily *happies*. Ironically, looking back...the frequency of *happies*-sharing always occurred/occurs around times when we felt/feel least happy...but we have seen how well it works...how much it helps to pull us out of the dregs and open us up and feed our soul on the good stuff rather than the icky. It's a reminder that even in the darkest of times, there is much to be thankful for. It's an amazing trick and so simple.

I haven't shared my *happies* in awhile...and in honor of Thanksgiving and all the gratitude exercises I have seen going 'round lately on The Facebook, I thought I'd see what I could come up with. Feel free to send your *happies* to me too because...it also seems that other people's *happies* make me happy. Happiness is in itself contagious and well...everyone could use a little extra happiness...especially around the stress of the holidays and flu season!

*I am happy for mint mocha lattes on a cold rainy day.
*I am happy for finding ladybugs in my house, in my car, at my doctor's office.
*I am happy for gummy vitamins.
*...new and old friends....making connections in the least expected places, in the least expected ways.
*... Sephora packages in the mail. (And a husband who just smiles and lets me buy myself a Sephora "treat" now and again.) There is one on its way today. Yay!
*... the sound of Coby's tail wagging early in the morning.
*... all the funny blogs available at my fingertips.
*... a family that is always there for me...just sitting and waiting for me to need them.
*... doctors and nurses who patiently field all my questions (I bring a new list every time).
*... hearty vegetable soup in the winter and cold crisp salad in the summer.
*... warm hugs from my husband.
*... back massages from the orange cat.
*... bubble baths.
*... pine-scented candles near the holidays.
*... green juice from my juicer.
*... clean laundry.
*... naps.
*... Parks and Recreation. Ohhh...and Modern Family.
*... Doritoes.
*... mashed potato stuffing and green bean casserole.
*... prayer shawls.

Oh my gosh....apparently, I could go on and on. See....there IS much to be thankful for and life is so much more bearable when we focus on those things. Send me yours!! It'll make you feel good...feel good...feel good....(remember  that anti-drug commercial from the 80s? I am happy for that too.)



1 comment:

  1. okay- I'll try it...
    my happies...
    ...my wonderful family and friends who continue to hear me out when I am down or frustrated
    ...walks around the crater with my dog, Lady, and my ipod
    ... definitely, my IPOD!
    ... a hug from my oldest son when he sees me frustrated
    ... 3 kids, who have their special needs, but who are otherwise happy and healthy
    ... a hubby who keeps spoiling me and makes sure I get time away from kids
    ... job security(actually my hubby's job, but same thing, right?)
    ... my Church
    ... texting capabilities!
    ... phone calls from home
    ... the internet and Facebook to keep me connected with friends and family
    ... the opportunity to live so many exciting places
    ... health insurance
    ... alcohol
    ... my friend, Vashni!

    okay- so they aren't in order, and I could go on and on. You're right! It does make the heart smile to remember our happies.

    I love you, girl!

    ReplyDelete