Monday, November 7, 2011

"Bald is the new black! "

I'm not gonna lie. Being bald is not so bad. It has its perks. 
  1. No fighting with my hair morning, noon and night.
  2. No more cleaning hair out of the shower drain.
  3. I don't need to bother with expensive hair products and appliances.
  4. I can give myself scalp massages without any barrier of fluff in between.
  5. I no longer get hair stuck on my lip-glossed lips. Or in my mascara-ed eyelashes.
  6. I have way more time to spend on perfecting my makeup when getting ready.
  7. I can use the money I would spend on hair products and services on new makeup and other indulgences.
  8. I don't have to stress about "breaking up" with my hairdresser. It's obvious why I don't need one right now.
  9. No worries about those pesky gray hairs popping up. (Though I am fearful it will ALL grow back gray....LOL!) 
  10. I no longer have to apologize to my family for hairs found in their dinner. Eww. It happens!
  11. No sweaty, frizzy hair after any form of exercise.
  12. No winter hair static.
  13. I can put stickers on my head.
  14. I can scare little children. 
  15. I now look like a perfect combination of my mom and my dad. Ha. 
It's been...uh...interesting getting used to having no hair. Even after a week, I don't think my brain has grasped the full concept yet...as I find myself surprised at my reflection and I sometimes catch myself trying to "play with" my hair. I haven't had the wig on my head for more than 5 minutes. It feels like a helmet. It feels fake. I can't "play with" the wig hair or tuck it behind my ears or pull it up in a messy bun. Still...I am debating wearing it to pick up my stepdaughter this week. 

When I leave the house, I wear a headscarf or a hat. At home, I walk around bald as the day I was born and I love it. I am waiting for that moment when I forget to put something on my head as I walk to the mailbox or take the trash out and get "caught" by a neighbor.

During a yoga class this weekend, I took my head scarf off. Mind you...I was in a room of cancer patients, survivors and caretakers...but I think I spent the entire first half of the class thinking "Oh my God, I am bald. My head is bare. People can see me." (I spent the second half of the class thinking "I am starving. When is this gonna be over? When is lunch?" Some things never change.) Later, during lunch, one of my classmates said to me..."When you took your scarf off...I thought you looked....completely normal. Like you meant to be that cool."

My husband wants to draw Charlie Brown expression lines on my head. I am not for this idea. But, I do appreciate his...umm...appreciation (??) of my bare skull. I have worried that it's unattractive to him to see me so bald, but it seems I have nothing to worry about. I now know for sure he sees me for what's on the inside...under that barren scalp. That's a pretty good feeling to have...and I suppose it could be #16 on the list....or maybe #1.

1 comment:

  1. Wow- another great posting, Vash! I want to laugh and cry as usual! You and I and our ever persistent hunger pains... So glad that your classmate said something to you. Was the weekend helpful, too- in addition to the side effects of a good yoga session? :) I love you!

    ReplyDelete