Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I Blame My Husband for My Reading Habits

I have been an absent blogger lately. I think this is because I have been reading fiction. And the fiction I am reading is sad. And reading sad stuff does not lend itself well to comedic blogging inspiration.

I blame my husband for this. He's always all "Read a book" to me. And I do read books. Its just that I am that girl who goes to the library and stays amongst the non-fiction shelves. I am that girl with a sick addiction to self-help books. My husband hates this too because it sometimes makes me get all preachy when I say things like "According to so and so...you should so and so and why don't you?" Or then I am always trying to start these "programs" like "4 Weeks to a Better Body" or something, but I only ever make it past Day 1 and then I hate myself for weeks.

My husband always likes to remind me of the time that I borrowed The Fountainhead for like the whole first year we were dating and only managed to read about 32 pages. What can I say...I had a pretty big backlog of self-help books calling my name.

So, when we went to Turks and Caicos for one of my best friend's weddings, I pulled The Kite Runner off the shelf at home. Only...at the airport on  the way to Turks and Caicos, my husband informs me that the book is quite depressing and I'm all like "I don't want to be depressed so I will just read these trashy tabloid magazines instead." And so, The Kite Runner took a trip to Turks and Caicos without so much as a page flip. The Kite Runner is now in my bedside table waiting for the moment when I am ready to be depressed. Which may be sooner than later....cause what did I do last week??

Last week, I went to the library in my new town and I'm all "I'll show him I can read fiction" and I checked out two of the Most.Depressing.Books in the entire library. It only took me a few days to read Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay  (yes, this is out in movie form right now). This book was riveting and heartbreaking and I couldn't put it down, but it was about the Holocaust and the 1942 roundups of Jewish families living in France and well...there really isn't much uplifting about the Holocaust. But, you should read this book.

I am now reading The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb. I picked this one up because a decade or so ago, I read his first two books and well....he is decidedly one of THE BEST authors ever. This book is centered around the Columbine shootings...another uplifting event in the history of our times. Wally Lamb is such a good writer that I can actually imagine that I am there. In the library. With the shooters. I have nightmares about this.

Anyway...I am only about halfway through this 768-page book, so there will still be more depressing nights and nightmares to come. But, alas...its good stuff.

I need to find some good funny fiction, uplifting fiction, anything besides this next...suggestions and recommendations welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment