Tuesday, April 3, 2012

What Money Can't Buy

This past weekend, many of my friends and the entire world of The Facebook and The Twitter were a-buzz with comments about what they would do if they won the $640 million Mega Millions jackpot. From lavish vacations to larger homes to charities, etc. And so, I started thinking about what I would do with such a windfall...and it struck me kind of hard, like a slap in the face kind of hard, that instead of feeling gleeful excitement over the extravagant possibilities, I found myself overcome with a deep sadness.

The thing is...no matter how much money I have...it would never be enough to buy me (or anyone else for that matter) pure natural juicy health. No amount of money in the world would render me cancer-free. No millions upon millions of dollar bills would bring back those we have lost to cancer and other diseases. I think it was the first time in my life that I realized that money can only do so much.

Don't get me wrong. Financially, my husband and I are comfortable. We don't live extravagantly. We don't own fancy things. We don't own a big mansion (especially in the DC suburbs). But, we have good health insurance. We can pay our bills. And we can splurge from time to time when we need/want to. But, I DO realize that there are many many people out there that are battling cancer that do not have the same financial resources to get the quality health care that they need and a lottery win WOULD prove beneficial in their fight for health and wellness. But, even in that case...money can only do so much.

Thankfully, in addition to modest financial security, I have immeasurable (BEYOND IMMEASURABLE) emotional support. THAT cannot be bought or lotter-ied off. THAT is priceless as well. I thank God everyday for the things that are priceless in life that I can say I have....love, hope, faith, friendship, family, hugs, smiles, cherry blossoms, dog kisses. I could go on and on. I don't need $640 million to access these things. They are here for me anytime I need them. Well, maybe not cherry blossoms, but you get the point.

Anyway...for perhaps the first time in my life...I had a dramatic shift in my perspective on money. For most of my life...I was of the mindset that there was never enough money and I wanted more, more, more. Now, I realize that more money doesn't equate to perfection and sheer happiness. I mean...there are a lot of material things I wouldn't mind having...and I think that a lavish vacation of any kind would do wonders to restore my sense of well-being...but in the end, money can't buy the things that really matter most. And I am grateful that I truly, deep down, "get that" now. 

Faith, Hope and Love to you,
Vashni

No comments:

Post a Comment